ANUPAM JOSHI, Ph.D., Chair
TBD, Graduate Program Director
M.P.S., P.B.C. (Degree Types )
M.P.S.: Data Science
The Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in Data Science program will prepare students from a wide range of disciplinary backgrounds for careers in data science. In the core courses, students will get a fundamental understanding of data science through classes that highlight machine learning, data analysis and data management. The core courses will also introduce students to ethical and legal implications surrounding data science. Beyond the core courses, students will take three courses in domain specific pathways developed in collaboration with academic departments across the university. Through these pathways, students will be able to utilize the skills and techniques they learned in the core courses within their own field or area of expertise.
Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies: Data Science
This four-course graduate certificate is for students seeking exposure to data science skills, knowledge, and tools. Students may choose to just take this certificate or to continue on to the complete M.P.S. program. All four certificate courses count toward the M.P.S. in Data Science.
Applicants to the MPS degree program are expected to have a solid academic background in any discipline. In addition, prospective students must have also completed the following courses at the undergraduate or graduate level: one semester of statistics and calculus. There is no formal requirement for a programming language, but candidates are encouraged to have relevant professional or academic experience with programming and software.
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the program with relevant professional or academic experience.)
- Official Transcripts
- Goal statement outlining the students goals and expectations in the program
- Resume or CV
- Recommendation letters (optional)
International Student Admission Requirements:
Applicants to the MPS degree program are expected to have current IT a solid academic background.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale
- TOEFL Scores: Minimum scores 597 (Written), 247 (computerized), 99 (iBT). Scores must no more than 2 years old.
- iBT Score Breakdown: Writing (23), Listening (23), Reading (25), Speaking (28, 23 acceptable if have 2 years' work experience in supervisory or management position in the U.S.)
- IELTS Score: Minimum score of 7.5 required
*If you have a three-year degree versus a four-year degree your transcript will be reviewed to determine whether you have met the necessary pre-requisites for the master's program. Eligibility for admission can only be determined upon receipt of a complete application.
Because this program is designed primarily for working professionals, graduate assistantships are not available. International students must provide their own support for full-time enrollment in this program. For details on international student financial requirements, see the International Education Services Web Site at www.umbc.edu/ies.