Return to: Graduate Programs
EUGENE P. (SANDY) PARKER, Chair
ERWIN VILLIGER, Graduate Program Director
ASHLEY WATERS, Graduate Program Coordinator
M.P.S., P.B.C. (Degree Types )
ABDULLAH, QASSIM A., Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle; Analytical Photogrammetry, Digital Remote Sensing, and Civil and Surveying Engineering
BERMUDEZ, LUIS, Ph.D., Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA; Hydroinformatics
CSANYI MAY, NORA, Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Columbus; Surface Extraction and Modeling, Sensor Fusion, Calibration of Multi-Sensor System, Digital Imagery
CANNISTRA, MARY KATE, M.P.S., UMBC, Catonsville, MD; GIS
DALTON, JASON, Ph.D., University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA; Systems and Information Engineering
DE COLA, LEE, Ph.D., University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria; Geography
HEIMANN, RICHARD, National Geospatial-Intelligence College, Geospatial Intelligence & Geography
KALWEIT, SUSAN, M.S. Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.; National Resource Strategy
SCHLEE, JOHN, MPA, George Mason University, Fairfax; GIS Database, GIS applications, Enterprise Solutions
SMITH, NATE, M.S., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA; Urban and Regional Planning
WILSON, RONALD, M.A., Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA; Geography
YANG, XIUZHU, Ph.D., East China Normal University, Shanghai; GIS Programming, Remote Sensing
Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.): Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is for early to mid-career professionals interested in an understanding of GIS that goes beyond “GIS as a tool for analysis”. This forward-looking program is developing the next generation of GIS professionals: those that have a fundamental understanding of the importance of geography as well as an advanced knowledge of the technologies involved in the end-to-end development of advanced Geographic Information Systems.
Upon completing the program, students will be able to demonstrate technical leadership in planning, implementing, and managing the enterprise GIS. The curriculum addresses five specific areas:
- Advanced Analytical Methods and Tools
- Enterprise Systems Management
- GIS Application Development
- GIS Databases
- Reflection on Professional Practice
- B.A. or B.S. in Geography, Computer Science or Information Systems -OR- a bachelor’s degree in a related field with GIS-related work experience
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the MPS program provisionally or to the Graduate Certificate program.)
* Please note the GRE is not required.
For Graduate Certificate:
- There are no specific constraints on the type of Bachelor’s degree required, however students with an academic or professional background in geography, computer science or information systems are encouraged to apply.
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Spring: December 1 (Domestic Students); May 1 (International Students)
Fall: August 1 (Domestic Students); January 1 (International Students)
Classes are offered at UMBC-Shady Grove in Rockville, MD, which is conveniently located near Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia.
CoursesGeography and Environmental Systems
Return to: Graduate Programs