ANNICA WAYMAN, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Shady Grove Affairs
CONCETTA DUDLEY, J.D., M.B.E., Graduate Program Director
M.P.S., P.B.C. (Degree Types )
See Biotechnology Homepage
The Master's in Professional Studies in Biotechnology prepares recent college graduates and science professionals to fill management, product development, and leadership roles in biotechnology-related companies or agencies. UMBC's Biotechnology curriculum provides advanced instruction in the life sciences, along with coursework in regulatory affairs, leadership, management, financial management and technical project management in a life science-oriented business.
Program Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in science, engineering, or any subject with sufficient coursework in relevant life science topics such as foundations of biology and organic chemistry OR a bachelor's degree in any subject combined with work experience in the life sciences.
- GRE scores are not required for admission.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with a GPA below 3.0 will be considered and possibly admitted based on strong professional experience and recommendations.
In Addition all international applicants need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- English proficiency scores:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 99 iBT
- Score Breakdown: Writing (23), Listening (23), Reading (25), Speaking (28, 23 acceptable if you have 2 years' work experience in supervisory or management positions in the U.S.)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Scores: Minimum score 7.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic Scores: 68
- Scores must be less than 2 years old.
We recommend that international transcripts be evaluated by an internationally recognized transcript evaluation service, such as WES.
International applicants should refer to the International Admission Page for special admission information
Because this program is designed primarily for working professionals, graduate assistantships are not available. International students must provide their own support for full-time enrollment in this program. For details on international student financial requirements, see the International Education Services Web site at www.umbc.edu/ies.
ProgramsMaster of Professional StudiesPost-Baccalaureate Certificate