Alan Yeakly, Chair
Matthew Baker, Graduate Program Director
Ron Wilson, Program Advisor
M.P.S., P.B.C. (Degree Types )
Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.): Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is for early to mid-career professionals interested in an understanding of GIS that goes beyond "GIS as a tool for analysis". This forward-looking program is developing the next generation of GIS professionals: those that have a fundamental understanding of the importance of geography as well as an advanced knowledge of the technologies involved in the end-to-end development of advanced Geographic Information Systems.
Upon completing the program, students will be able to demonstrate technical leadership in planning, implementing, and managing the enterprise GIS. The curriculum addresses five specific areas:
- Advanced Analytical Methods and Tools
- Enterprise Systems Management
- GIS Application Development
- GIS Databases
- Reflection on Professional Practice
- B.A. or B.S. in Geography, Computer Science or Information Systems -OR- a bachelor's degree in a related field with GIS-related work experience
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the MPS program provisionally or to the Graduate Certificate program.)
- International applicants should refer to the International Admission Page for special admission information.
* Please note the GRE is not required.
For Graduate Certificate:
- B.A. or B.S. in Geography, Computer Science or Information Systems or a bachelor's degree in a related field with GIS-related work experience.
- GRE scores are not required for admission
- Applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Spring: December 1 (Domestic Students); May 1 (International Students)
Fall: August 1 (Domestic Students); January 1 (International Students)
Classes are offered at UMBC-Shady Grove in Rockville, MD, which is conveniently located near Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia.
ProgramsMaster of Professional StudiesPost-Baccalaureate Certificate
CoursesGeography and Environmental Systems