BIOE additional notes
1) Students must earn a “C” or better in all major courses and course prerequisites.
2) At least half of the required BIOL courses for the BIOE degree (five of nine), including the 4XX elective, must be completed in residence at UMBC.
3) A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above is required to register for EDUC 412 and beyond.
4) Students in the BIOE major will be assigned an academic adviser from the Biological Sciences department, but will also be advised by the Education department in regard to EDUC courses, internships, and teaching certification.
5) The Biological Sciences Department evaluates completion of major requirements based on COURSES completed, not CREDITS completed, because equivalent courses taken elsewhere may not be the same number of credits as the UMBC course they replace.
6) Under exceptional circumstances, the Department may waive or alter a BIOL major requirement. Students seeking to petition for a waiver must consult with their academic adviser, then may submit a ‘Petition for Waiver/Substitution of Program Requirements’ form, found here: http://www.umbc.edu/biosci/undergrad/forms.php.