BIOL Minor additional notes:
1) Students must earn a "C" or better in all BIOL courses and course prerequisites for the minor.
2) At least half of the required BIOL courses and electives for the minor (three of five) must be completed in residence at UMBC.
3) The BIOL minor may NOT be taken with a major in Biological Sciences (BIOL B.A. or B.S.), Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (BIOC), or Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BINF) because of complete overlap in requirements.
4) At least two of the courses used for BIOL minor requirements must not be used in the fulfillment of the coursework of another major, minor or certificate.
5) BIOL 495, 497, and 499 may NOT be used for the Elective requirement. The BIOL elective class must be taken at UMBC.
6) The Biological Sciences Department evaluates completion of major requirements based on COURSES completed, not CREDITS completed, because equivalent courses taken elsewhere may not be the same number of credits as the UMBC course they replace.
7) Under exceptional circumstances, the Department may waive or alter a BIOL degree requirement. Students seeking to petition for a waiver must consult with their academic adviser, then may submit a 'Petition for Waiver/Substitution of Program Requirements' form, found here: http://www.umbc.edu/biosci/undergrad/forms.php.